Friday 13 October 2017

Herbarium

Hello Friends!
What a delicious mixed media treat we have for you today!
Sanda created the most gorgeous season inspired spread in her journal - I'm sure you'll find tons of inspirations in this magical Herbarium! Enjoy!

*   *   *   *

“Autumn is a second spring when every leaf is a flower.”
(Albert Camus)

Hi, guys,

Autumn is here, my friends, already displaying a lush range of colours.
This is the time of the year I enjoy taking long walks in the hazy, but still warm sun, collecting leaves, tiny twigs or seed pods that I will later use in my projects, or just arrange them around the house.

So, I’m back today, sharing with you an art journal spread celebrating the wonderful Fall Season, that I hope will inspire you.

***

I started my pages by covering them with a coat of White Heavy Gesso.
When this was dry, I began collaging small pieces of cotton fabric using Finn’s Sculpture Medium – overlapping the fabric bits, creating wrinkles and then saturating the fabric with a generous amount of sculpture medium until I covered my pages completely.
I added a few more fabric pieces (for these ones I made a cut longwise, in the middle, to create an opening) and I pasted them with Sculpture Medium, manipulating the fabric to create organic shapes to resemble some seed pods.
While the medium was still wet, I added more texture with Finn’s Art Stones in all three sizes (the Sculpture Medium is also the perfect glue for this purpose). When I was happy with the result, I left the pages dry overnight.
Next morning, I started mixing the colours I wanted for this spread, using Art Alchemy Impasto paints, which I absolutely love, love, love! 😊 I encourage you to play and experiment, mixing your own shades, that best suit your project and believe me, it is a very rewarding process. 


I diluted the paints with water to an ink-like consistency and started painting the background, spritzing the paint with more water to help the paint move. When my pages were covered, I dried them thoroughly with my heating tool.
Next, I cut some cardstock leaves with my Silhouette machine and used them as masks, covering the space between the shapes with white heavy gesso.
Then, I removed the masks, dried the gesso and added more colour, shading and highlighting the areas around the leaves with water-soluble oil pastels.
When I was pleased with the result, I mixed two shades of green and added them in a few spots.
As a finishing touch, I put some highlights on the texture using Art Alchemy Sparks – these paints are soooo yummy!!! 😊

Here is my video where you can watch my creative process and see all the products I used.
Enjoy and have fun!






I hope you enjoyed my new project and you are ready to create your own lovely autumnal art journal…

Have a lovely day, my friends!
xoxo










Materials used:



5 comments:

Olga Kolov said...

Wonderful structure!

Maura said...

Sanda, this is wonderful! Love your theme and the colors and amazing texture. Brilliant!! hugs, Maura

Maris said...

Such skill and for site of what it will look like in the end. Just shows how much you know your products and how they will behave on paper. Love it you are an expert in all you do.

Unknown said...

Thank you so much for your sweet comments, Olga and Maura! Big hugs, Sanda xxx

Sue Lelli said...

Sanda, this is just GORGEOUS and so Inspiring! Thank you for the FABULOUS process video!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...